Last September, Tor Project published the first alpha build of Tor Browser for Android, and from then on, developers have been working hard to offer the same protection for android as on desktop version.
The Tor Project shared in a blog post,
Mobile browsing is increasing around the world, and in some parts, it is commonly the only way people access the internet. In these same areas, there is often heavy surveillance and censorship online, so we made it a priority to reach these users.
Tor browser is finally out for Android, the most popular privacy-focused browser, and the first release is now available on Google Play Store.
On Tuesday, Tor Project announced the first of its kind and state-of-the-art secure official version of Tor Browser 8.5 – available for free to download from Google Plays Store.
How Tor Browser Works
Privacy focus individuals, activists, reporters and even cybercriminals widely use Tor Browser to prevent public surveillance. It enables users to anonymously browse the internet through a network of encrypted servers which bounce web applications through several intermediate connections, hiding IP addresses and identity of the user.
Tor Browser for Android is not as complete as its desktop version as per developers of Tor Project, but it provides security functionality such as no proxy bypass, first-party privacy isolation to block cross-site monitoring and other anti-fingerprint protections.
The Tor Project also said,
While there are still feature gaps between the desktop and Android Tor Browser, we are confident that Tor Browser for Android provides essentially the same protections that can be found on desktop platforms.
Tor browser lets you clear up the instance of your Tor network instantly using different caches and other data, without re-starting an app or restarting the Tor onion network, by pressing “NEW IDENTITY” button in the notification of your Android phone.
Tor Browser for Android Features
- BLOCK TRACKERS – Tor Browser prevents third-party trackers and ads from following you on every site by isolating them and automatically removing cookies when you stop browsing.
- DEFEND AGAINST SURVEILLANCE – If someone try to monitor your browsing habits, all anyone can see is that you are using Tor.
- RESIST FINGERPRINTING – Tor makes every user look the same, making fingerprinting based on your browser and device information difficult.
- MULTI-LAYERED ENCRYPTION – While moving through Tor network, traffic is relayed and encrypted three times. Tor relays are comprised of thousands of volunteer-run servers. Watch above video to learn more about how it works.
- BROWSE FREELY – Free access to all sites even if it is blocked by your internet services provider.
How to Install Tor Browser on Android
Follow the instruction below to download, install and use Tor Browser on Android.
- Go to Google Play Store and search Tor Browser OR use this link.
- Tap Install.
- Wait for download and install to be completed.
- When Done. Open Tor Browser.
- Tap Connect.
- Wait for Tor Browser to connect Tor network.
- You will be welcomed by Tor.
- Enjoy. You can change your identity anytime you want, just by tapping NEW IDENTITY from notification area, as shown above.
In addition to the launch of Android app, the Tor Project also announced that several features, such as additional tabs, new logos, and improved user interface, are being released in the latest Tor Browser. The firm also said that the Tor browser is still lacking from the iOS platform, as Apple plans to limit its use of all third-party browsers and bound developers to use its engine.